Performance improvements

I was working on setting up the site for the Open Psychology Project and noticed that I was having some issues with it.  First I noticed that the site was actually not responding in a reasonable matter.  Everything was very painful to work with.  So I looked at what might have been the issue:

I looked at the memory usage and I saw that while I saw that I wasn’t “using all the memory” all my swap was in use.  This was after I had found that MySQL kept not working correctly.  It seems that the base memory that I started with wasn’t enough.

Then I decided to hack MySQL to see if I could get it up and working.  Sadly, I was able to, but without providing the needed support for WordPress.  So while I could see that maybe memory was being a big issue, I decided to greatly increase the memory on the server so that I could handle it.

This seems to have worked pretty well.  It appears that realistically any “dynamic” website needs about 2 GB of memory available to it to run at all effectively.

I have also determined that as the site becomes more active that probably needs to be doubled.  This site itself was sitting at 2 GB of memory, but was slow, checking the amount of memory being used indicated we were getting close to running out.  And had a lot of the available swap being used.

So I doubled to 4 GB on this server, and it seems to have kicked it up a fair amount.  The problem is.  Memory seems to be expensive.  At least when you are buying it on a remote server.

We are currently going with what we currently have.  Still have to move several sites off of here.

This entry was posted in Site News. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Leave a Reply